Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Vietnamese Rice Rolls: Banh Cuon


Last weekend, I went to the Vietnam Town in San Jose with my sister. We ate Vietnamese rice rolls, where it should be called Banh Cuon, according to the article in The New York Times. It was a fresh experience for me, because I only know Pho in Vietnamese cuisine before. As a Cantonese, I never thought that Vietnamese food actually shares a lot of similarity with the Cantonese. In Hong Kong, I often eat Cheung-fun, something similar to Banh Cuon during the Yumcha session. The article also mentioned they are relatively similar. However, making Cheung-fun is not easy. It requires some skills to make Cheung-fun in Yumcha restaurants. My sister said, Banh Cuon is more like a casual formula of making Cheung-fun, which makes it easier to make in the household. It was interesting to see how immigration from other countries affected the meals in the United States. The various cuisines in this country showed its complicated ethnic history in its 243 years of establishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Solemn Remembrance of Thanksgiving